Painter born in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in 1907. She graduated from Sweet Briar College in Virginia in 1927 and moved to New York to study at the Grand Central School of Art. Compton served as WPA’s state art director from 1939-1940. She received numerous awards in shows and did twenty-one oil portraits for the steamboat Sprague’s River Hall of Fame, which were destroyed by fire in 1974. Compton died in 1987.
She has nineteen works in the permanent collection of the Mississippi Museum of Art. Her work was shown in a special exhibit at the museum from November 20, 1999 to January 23, 2000, entitled Caroline Compton: The River at Vicksburg and Beyond.