Elizabeth Slaughter Miller was born in Lincoln, Nebraska in 1929. She earned a B.F.A. in painting and printmaking from the University of Nebraska, and an M.F.A from Drake University in Des Moines, IA (1951,1969). Later, she went on to teach art at Drake. From 1951 to 1956 she worked in Iowa as a Gallery Assistant, Art Instructor and Educational Coordinator for the Des Moines Art Center, and Gallery Director for the Waterloo Municipal Gallery. She taught painting and drawing at Iowa State University for 24 years, where she earned the title of Distinguished Professor in 1987. She retired in 1995.
Miller has numerous works included in public, corporate, and private collections, some of which include: Lincoln Artists Guild, University of Nebraska; Des Moines Art Center; Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Des Moines, IA and Illinois; The Gazette Company, Cedar Rapids, IA; McFarland Clinic, Ames, IA; and American Telegraph and Telephone Company, Omaha, Nebraska.
The artist has had her work in over one hundred solo and group exhibitions, most of which were held in Iowa, and North and South Dakota. In addition, her work was shown in two solo exhibitions at Luther College, Decorah, IA in 1981 and 1987.