Carl Morris was born in Yorba Linda, California. He studied art at Fullerton Junior College, the Chicago Art Institute, the Kunstgewerbeschule in Vienna, and the Vienna Academy of Fine Art. He taught privately and at the University of Colorado and was the director of the Federal Art Program at Spokane, Washington (1938-39). His commissions included works for the U.S. Post Office at Eugene, Oregon, and the Hall of Religion at the Oregon Centennial Exposition in 1959.
During his career Morris received numerous awards including the Austro-American Scholarship (1935), the Werkbund Scholarship (1939), the Seattle Art Museum-Margaret E. Fuller Award (1946), honorable mention-Seattle Art Museum (1939,46,47), second prize-Seattle Art Museum (1943), and the Pepsi-Cola Bronze Metal (1948). His works were featured in one-man and group exhibitions worldwide including at the Foundation de Etats-Unis in Paris (1935), Paul Elder Gallery in San Francisco (1937), Seattle Art Museum (1940), Chicago Art Institute, and the Sao Paulo (Brazil) Biennial Exhibition (1955). Morris’ works can be found in collections at the University of Colorado, Denver Art Museum, Houston Museum of Fine Art, Seattle Art Museum, and the University of Illinois.